Monday, April 21, 2008

European tour 2

It's pretty good touring Europe. They feed you like a king and give you showers and apartments and all sorts. On Friday we played Zürich. Zürich is a quiet town but at night people seem to go Bananas. The club after the gig stayed open until 5, and a lot of people (including me) made it to the end. I slept in for a while the next day, but when I woke up and pulled back the curtain of my bunk I got the best view of the tour so far. We were parked in an Alpine foot hill about a mile out of the Austrian town of Dornbirn. There was an amazing river rushing through the pine trees and we were soaked in dappled sunlight. Then i looked up and saw the snow capped mountains. I can honestly say that i liked it more than waking up in a disused building plot in Crewe. Not to dis Crewe too much but a view like the one I had on Saturday takes some beating.

I didn't really get how you can have a gig that far from town, but the people came. The hilight of the night was our own beer tap and the support band nicking an entirely full barrel of beer. The venue guy didn't even seem to care. Cool.

We were supposed to be driving to Rome the next day (day off) and then playing in Rome today, but the water pipes burst in the Rome venue (that's exactly how the Italians roll, nothing ever works). So we blagged our way into a gig in Innsbruck (which is where I am now). It looks like a really cool little club and they gave us an apartment for 2 days. sweet.

We have done some extreme tourism yesterday and today, including Alp climbing in trainers a cable car, a couple of museums and a Zoo. Pics and vid to follow.

Byesy bye
Henry

4 comments:

MAGASIN said...

Nothing about Lille ? I understand, the (lack of) audience totally sucked. Sorry about that, and enjoy the rest of the tour.

Beryl30 said...

I get to see the lovely face baboon every morning. An alpine view would be lovely, but not as loving :)

Unknown said...

Played a gig in (I think) Basel 20 years ago and we emptied the venue's beer fridge during the 'extended' afternoon souncheck. They didn't complain either.

Henry Dartnall said...

Lille was great. 100 plus people is OK for me in a place where noone has heard of us. I just don't write about every gig because sometimes I can't remember much. x