Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Off the beaten track tour 3 - End of Tour

Last 2 nights were pretty mental. Chatham Tap n Tin is a sweet venue. It reminded me of a bar in Austin with free burgers but loads of rain. Never been to the Medway towns and some friends gave me a guided tour of Rochester Castle. Sweet culture.
The gig was a sweat box and I deffo nearly died twice.
Lost the bus today, went into a van for the last 2 days to save money. I have aquired too much shit on this tour to stick in a van. I have been to charity shops in loads of the towns we have visited and got some pretty swish old men clothes, but my luggage is now massive.

We rocked up to Southend and the sun came out. I don't remember ever having been to Southend but I like it. Frode said it reminded him of The Lost Boys. I can see what he means. As it is the last day of the tour I buy Ungdomskulen some rude lollies which I subsequently forget to give them and still have in my bag. I considered buying them "Shit in a can" and "Small pecker condoms" but couldn't muster the courage to ask the shop vendor.
Tonight's show is extra special. Ungdomskulen do a sweet set which is probably their best of the whole tour. The we have them join us at the end of the show and give them our instruments during an extended version of The decision. This has been captured on film and is going to appear on Youtube soon.

I wake up on Monday morning at home and I immediately have the lergie. That's what happens when you stop after 3 weeks of continuous rocking. I am now at the video shoot for Turn tail which is looking amazing to me. It looks a bit like Steptoe and son.

Yesterday was a bit special. Despite my raging cough and aches we go to Westbourne studios in west london and cut acoustic versions of Turn tail and Mummy light the fire, directly to record. Apparently this hasn't been done commercially since the mid 70's. I think it sounded good. We recorded it in a very dry way and we were suffering a bit from the tour but it was definitley an interesting thing to do. Obviously it is also double geeky, but then that's The Young Knives for you - massive geeks.

Still feeling shit today but have eaten all of the flu drugs in the world. One more day of shooting tomorrow here in sunny Bristol and them I am going home to see my wife and have a play on Guitar hero 3. Sad I know. I don't do gaming much but The HMV in Cardiff sorted me out with a sweet discount and I buckled under the "thing of the moment" pressure of it all. The cynic of everything comercial goes capitalist crazy, next thing you know I'll have an iphone.

Love
Henry

5 comments:

usedtobe said...

sweet!

you must be nuts doing a video less than one week before release :P

get well soon

Unknown said...

You have to take a stand on technology sometimes. Mine is microwave's. I refuse to have one much to my daughter's chagrin as she has to "suffer" by warming up her pizzas in the convential oven and not the microwave which takes a whole 5 mins more. I could go on a microwave rant but I won't. Afterall, I was the person who said he would never have a video recorder, mobile phone, cd player, mp3 player etc etc. I don't have a good track record!!

Get well Henry and thanks for the tour. The gigs I went were great. Hope to see you again once all the festival stuff is over.

Beryl30 said...

Hey someone beat me to it then!! get well soon Henry. Sweet.

redfunky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
redfunky said...

i chuffing loved it when Ungdomskulen came on for the decision!

Shame about the heavy handed security guys and all the fights though... there were times i was worried about my cousin coS she's diddy!

still we thought you rocked it!!!

feel better henry :)