Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On the road again. Moscow and Paris

Hey sexy,

Well I had 10 days off and they didn't seem eventful enough to warrant blogspace. I guess there was a bit to tell though. As soon as we stopped touring, and I mean the day after, I got the lergie. BASTARD. We had one day off and then we went into the studio. We did this stripped down recording of Turn tail at Westbourne studios in London. It was cut straight to Vinyl. We just stood inf ront of two mics and the cutting machine sat next to us, we played and the record was cut in the room. You can hear the machine on the recording. It was quite cool. The problem was that I had developed a cough and every time I coughed we had to start again and it cost £40. Still, it worked out OK in the end but I felt terrible.

Then we went straight to Bristol for the two day Turn tail video shoot. At this point i was shivering and could have definitely done with a day off or four. It was a hard shoot, but luckily it was inside and involved sitting down, so it could have been worse. I watched the almost final version last night and it's a cool looking video. It reminds me a bit of She's attracted to but I think it's even better. It's also the first YK video with CGI in it - Futurismo.

So after lying in bed for a few days after that and then just fixing guitars and amps and stuff, we are back on the road. We flew to Norway on Thursday and did a day of strange TV programs. The gig was cool it was. I love Norway.

Then we went to Moscow on Saturday and Played a gig on Sunday night. It is a strange place. Here is my breakfast:

That's right, it was weird. The pink cakes were my least favorite food I have ever eaten I think.

I was reasonably wary of wandering the streets on my own. Ed (Tour manager) had stories of being "done over" by bent cops, where they take all your money and perhaps your passport. He does exaggerate but I guess it's better to be safe. Luckily because we are an international jet setting bunch, we had a guide. Her name was Eugenie, but I couldn't remember it. We did a good 4 mile walk around the grey blocks of Moscow. It is quite grey, but it also has a strange but not unpleasant atmosphere. I was particularly taken with the packs of stray dogs giving you the "I'm really hungry" eyes. Of course we did the whole tourist thing. Here is a picture to back that up.

I guess it's probably a good time to do an introduction to the people in the picture.
standing from left to right; Me, House of Lords, Jimmy Curry the tech, Ed Hutchinson the Tour Manager. Kneeling from left to right; Martin O'Grady the sound engineer; Oliver.

Jimmy is the guitar tech and we normally have Alex Baker with us for drums. Sometimes, however it gets a bit too expensive to have both so they have to have a brawl and whoever wins gets to go. Al is off with the Courteeners at the moment. Hope it's going well.

So the gig in Moscow was very cool. Lots of people came and laughed at us. There also seemed to be loads of people that knew the words. So that was nice.

Then we did Paris and I finally got my computer back so I could write to you. Then of course I didn't get internet until today. So, sorry about that. Paris was a co-headliner with Gravenhurst. Gravenhurst were really nice and played some good stuff. We got drunk on red wine and ate nice cheese. The audience were a bit dry. I think that is the Paris way though.

I have brought the video camera in case there is something funny to film. I doubt it, but if there is I will post it. MINT.

Lille tonight. The food is once again, amazing.

See ya

7 comments:

usedtobe said...

good pix! want more!

Unknown said...

What's that on the plate that looks like doggy do's?. I trust it wasn't.

Always wondered when groups go on tours in overseas places, do you have to learn any linger or do the British thing and shout louder and do the French cheer in French? e.g. Le cheer or something or is it a universal cheer? Just a thought.

Beryl30 said...

That food just looks wrong. The only think I recognised was the egg. I like eggs. They smell bad sometimes, but as a rule eggs are good.

Great Moscow picture!

Isaac Ashe said...

The pink cakes looked like the best bit.

Kristian said...

goddamn you guys!
that is one sweet picture!
i wish we were lurking in the back!
HAHAHA

Henry Dartnall said...

Hi Kristian,
I love you too.
Where is the video of Southend? I must and will see it
Henry

John McGarvey said...

Talk about slow - I've only just discovered you guys have a blog! I went to Moscow a couple of years back and loved it. You just have to avoid the police - the locals are fantastic.

I have fond memories of drinking far too much vodka with strangers, then getting lost on the way home and having to rely on the kindness of a passing motorist to give me a lift back.

See you in Oxford in December. I'm the chap in the Prince of Wales t-shirt.